sORWL Avocats is proud to launch the first edition of the Unchain the Law competition on the legal and tax issues of crypto-assets and blockchain.
* * *
The concept of this competition is based on a simple observation: despite curiosity about these technologies, the countless and exciting legal and tax issues arising from them are still a mystery to lawyers. Few law students dare to venture into this field, which offers a growing number of opportunities.
Unchain the Law aims to participate in the democratisation of these new technologies and to create bridges between the legal world and this new digital economy by offering a meritocratic path to this industry. It offers all law students the opportunity to demonstrate their technical and legal skills, their creativity but also their eloquence.
* * *
The competition will be conducted in two phases:
- The first round will consist of a written case study; students will be able to choose between an IT/Regulation topic and a Tax topic; about ten students will be admitted to the next round;
- The final round will consist of an eloquence contest in front of a jury of experts from the crypto industry and the legal world; candidates will have to defend their vision on a topic related to the crypto industry.
* * *
The first edition, which will be devoted to the legal and fiscal issues of NFTs, will be sponsored by major players in the sector:
- Sorare, the fantasy football game offering its users, through NFTs, the possibility to hold digital cards of professional players;
- The Sandbox, which offers a game within a metaverse as well as a marketplace to trade within the game by buying and selling items represented by NFTs;
- Blackpool, the first quantitative hedge fund on yield bearing NFTs.
The student association Assas Legal Innovation, which is at the forefront of legal issues relating to new technologies, is also a sponsor.
The first edition of the Unchain the Law competition will take place between February and June 2022 and will conclude, at the end of the final round, with a cocktail party bringing together industry players, lawyers, students and law professors in a prestigious venue.
The winner will receive a prize of €3,000 as well as an offer of a paid internship with ORWL, and various prizes will be awarded by the sponsors of the edition to the candidates of the final round.
Details of the competition will be announced in the coming days.